Tuesday, April 2, 2013

The Power of One

The thought that it only takes one good break to make it big has crossed my mind quite a few times. Most of those times were in my teens. Go figure.

I tried some crazy things to try to make it happen: submitted song lyrics to a fly-by-night record company, wrote a trivia book, and created a game. The record company recorded my song for $350 and it was awful. Then they sang Take the Money and Run. The trivia book never left the house but at least I didn't lose money on that venture. The game I still hold out hope for but that's another story.

I did eventually get my big break. I landed a great job. Hardly anything you could call making it big but it did put me on the fast track to success with a large utility company. I remember attending a financial seminar where I was asked where I worked and was told I wouldn't ever have to worry about losing my job. After all people will always need utilities. What he and I both failed to think about is that it only takes one bad break to make you have to start all over again. And that is exactly what happened. A couple weeks after a change in job title had me doing the same job for more money, the bottom fell out.

One decision, one word would wipe out 14 years of climbing the company ladder.

    MER     GER

This was my first encounter with the power of one. I fought back for a while but could not recover from this blow. Depression set in and I sank deep. At my low point I made one powerful decision of my own; to take my life. Fortunately, God would have none of that. My pride would not allow me to seek help. God was, and always will be, more powerful than my pride. He brought me back to my senses and gave me the ability to swallow my pride.  


From that moment til this I have been learning about and making use of (though not as often as I should) the power of The One - My Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I don't need that one good break to make it big. I don't need to regain what that one bad break took from me. I need Jesus. His power is greater than anything, good or bad, that life brings my way.

1 comment:

  1. Steven, you said it so well! I agree--all I need is Jesus.

    ReplyDelete